For payment of property tax for 2017-18, BBMP has further simplified and refined its new property tax portal launched just last year. The procedure to pay property tax for most property owners (for whom there is no change in usage, structure or occupancy of their property, i.e. Form IV) has been vastly simplified from last year with just a single page form with minimal user inputs required to pay the property tax. Even for those property owners whose property has some changes, the Form V is quite simple as compared to last year.
The following are the steps to pay Property Tax using the updated portal:
1. Go to the new BBMP Property Tax portal (http://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/) and enter your SAS Base Application Number on the home page and click on “Fetch”. If you don’t have / know your base application number, select Renewal Application Number and enter your last year’s SAS application number. You could also use your old or new Property ID (PID) to proceed, if you know it.
2. If the SAS application number or PID entered by you is valid, you will see your property’s first/sole owner’s displayed on the next page. Ensure that it is correct and click on “Proceed” to go to the property tax Form IV.
In case there are any changes in the built-up area, occupancy or tenancy status of the property, select the check box before clicking on “Proceed”. This will take you to Form V instead where you can update your property particulars.
NOTE: If you have paid property tax with the revised zonal classification last year before the change was rolled back, you must tick the above check box even if there is no change in your property particulars. This is because the Form IV will calculate tax based on the new zonal classification and there is no way to change it. The only way to restore the earlier zonal classification is via Form V. Once you restore the older zonal classification, last year’s excess property tax paid will be automatically adjusted in this year’s tax calculation.
3. On the next page, all the details should have been pre-filled. If you did not check the box on the previous page, most of the fields will not be editable (except phone numbers) since the form assumes there are no changes in any particulars from the previous year. Verify that all the details are correct and proceed to make the payment either online or via challan at the BBMP ward office.
If you checked the box on the previous page, you will be presented with Form V that allows you to modify the particulars of your property. You can do the necessary changes and then click on “Proceed to Next Step” at the bottom to see the tax calculation.
On the next page, confirm if the calculations are correct and then proceed to pay the amount online or via challan.
4. Lastly, if you have chosen the online payment option, you can make the payment either via netbanking or credit card or e-wallet via the PayU portal. Once the payment is completed, a receipt number will be generated. However, it may take up to 24 hours for the electronic receipt (in PDF format) to be available on the portal. You can print / download the receipt later via this link: http://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/Forms/PrintForms.aspx?rptype=3
5. If you face any technical glitch while making the online payment, you can check the status and complete the payment here by entering your 2017-18 SAS application number: http://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/Forms/continuepayment.aspx
6. If you face any problems in filing your property tax, please contact BBMP via the below options:
- Complaint form: https://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/Forms/Complaintrequest.aspx
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 080-22660000
- WhatsApp: 9480685700
Frequently Asked Questions
- I don’t know my SAS Base Application Number. What should I do? You can select “Renewal Application Number” and enter your last year’s SAS application number below. You can get the renewal number from your last year’s property tax receipt.
- How do I find out my PID number? Use this link to find out: http://bbmp.gov.in/geptis/web/gis/home
- I had selected the new zone while making the property tax payment last year. Later on, the change in zonal classification was rolled back. This year the form shows the new zone by default and there is no way to change it. How do I revert to my original zonal classification? You can check the box on the confirmation page after entering the SAS application number. This will take you to Form V instead of Form IV, and you can manually select the zone your property falls under. With this, the zonal classification for your property will be reset to the earlier value.
- I had made the property tax payment as per the new zonal classification last year. BBMP had said that the excess amount will be refunded this year. How do I claim the same? The excess amount paid last year will be automatically adjusted in the tax calculation this year, and the same will be shown to you for confirmation before going to the payment page.
- I am being asked to pay a “Balance property tax from 2016-17” even though I have paid the full property tax as calculated by the online form last year. What is this new demand? There was a programming error in the online form last May due to which for certain properties (which had change in property details from 2015-16) the system ended up calculating a much lower tax than actually payable. This shortfall is being collected this year. For details please refer: https://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/documents/Clarification%20on%20PT%20Calculation.pdf
Thanks to reader Hari for this tip!
- The property tax form does not allow me to enter or edit the Street Name. And without that I cannot proceed to the next page for payment. Follow these steps to work around this problem:
a) Do not click the Verify check box before going for online payment
b) This will result in a popup asking to verify.
c) Now click the Verify check box
d) The dialog box asking to enter Street Name does not pop up anymore now and you can proceed for payment!
Thanks to reader P. Seshan for this tip!
- I have selected Challan Payment option instead of Online Payment (or vice versa). How do I change it now? As of now it is not possible to change the payment mode once selected. You may write to BBMP to add this option.
- While making the payment online I faced a technical problem and was unable to complete payment. If I retry, portal says “Payment already in transition”. How do I check the status or complete the payment? You can check the status of payment in progress and continue making payment via this link: http://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/Forms/continuepayment.aspx
- I am not sure if the property tax calculated by the portal is correct. How do I confirm this? Please use the BBMP property tax calculator to verify: http://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/Forms/Calculator.aspx
- I have completed the payment online but I am not able to view the receipt at “Downloads > Receipt Print”. Please check again after 24 hours.