UPDATE: BBMP has now rolled back the change in zonal classification, which means the hike in property tax is now limited to 20% for residential and 25% for commercial properties (see this link).
UPDATE 2: The option to pay property tax for previous years has now been enabled in the new portal (click here to access it). Those who have not paid property tax for previous years can use this link to pay the same and then proceed to pay for the current year. Thanks to reader Sagar for highlighting this.
In this blog post, I explain how to pay your Property Tax online in a matter of minutes. This is an updated version of my earlier article on the same, and is necessitated because BBMP has hiked the Property Tax rates by 20-25% and also revised the zonal classification and has launched a new Property Tax payment website in April 2016.
The following are the steps to pay Property Tax using the updated portal:
1. Go to the new BBMP Property Tax portal (http://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/) and click on “Property Tax Payment” link.
2. Enter the SAS Base Application Number or Renewal Application Number (or PID number, if your property has it) in the given box and click on “Click Here”.
If you have filed Property Tax online before on the earlier BBMP SAS portal, use the same SAS Application Number that you used last time as the SAS Base Application Number. If you are filing Property Tax online for the first time, or are not sure of your SAS Base Application Number, try entering any of your previous SAS Application Numbers in the Renewal Application Number field.
3. If the SAS Application Number or PID number entered by you is valid, you should see the property’s first/sole owner’s name in the box below. Select it and click on “Continue” below.
4. On the next page, in Rows 1-4 you need to enter your personal details such as occupation, age, telephone numbers, email ID, etc. You also need to select the name of the area and ward number from the respective drop down lists. You can also choose to enter additional details such as BESCOM and BWSSB RR numbers and your Aadhaar number (whichever are applicable).
5. Next (and most important), in Row 5 you need to select your area’s previous and current Zonal Classification in fields (i) and (ii). All areas are classified into one of six tax “zones” from A to F, with A being the highest taxed zone and F the lowest. Use the following links to find out your previous and current Zonal Classification:
- Previous Zonal Classification as per 2008-09 SAS notification: http://bbmp.gov.in/zonal-classification-residential
New/Revised Zonal Classification as per 2016-17 SAS notification: http://bbmp.gov.in/en/2016-17-final-property-tax-notification For the “Cap on Zone applied” field (iii), here is how to select it: If your new zone is higher than your previous zone by one or more value zones, then as a concession only one zone upgrade will be considered for taxation purposes. For example, if your previous zone was D, and your new zone is B, then it means your property has been upgraded by two zones (from D to B). But only one zone jump will be considered while calculating property tax. Therefore, you should enter C in the “Cap on Zone applied” field. However, if your new zone is lower than your previous zone by one or more value zones, then you cannot benefit from the downgrade in zonal classification and you will still be taxed on the old (higher) zone itself. For example, if your previous zone was D and your new zone is E, then it means your property has been downgraded by one zone (from D to E). But you still need to enter D in “Cap on Zone applied” field. If your previous and new zone are the same, enter the same zone in “Cap on Zone applied” field.
NOTE: BBMP has rolled back the change in zonal classification, which means now the “Previous Zonal Classification” must be filled in the “New/Revised Zonal Classification” as well as “Cap on Zone” field. This will effectively restrict the hike in Property Tax to 20% for residential and 25% for non-residential properties since there is no change in zone anymore.
6. Next, in Row 6 select the type of property (vacant land, apartment, etc.) and enter the site dimensions, built-up area, etc. as applicable. Also specify whether the property is residential or non-residential (commercial). Lastly, click on “Save & Go to Step 2”.
7. On the next page, in Row 7 details of the property (category/type of property, built-up area and car parking area, year of completion of construction, etc.) need to be entered under the proper head (self-occupied or tenanted). After entering it, click on “Add” to save the same. If your property has any hoardings, mobile towers or land parking spots on lease, please enter those details as well.
8. In Row 8, your previous property tax details will be displayed below. Review the same. In Row 9, if you have lodged and/or won any appeal against earlier property tax assessment notice, mention those details. Lastly, click on “Save & Go to Step 3”.
9. On the next page, the property tax computation for the current year will be displayed, with all fields pre-filled. You can then proceed to pay via Challan Payment (cash/cheque/DD) or Online Payment (via credit/debit card or netbanking) option by clicking on the appropriate button.
10. If you choose the online payment option, the Property Tax receipt will be generated instantly (in PDF format) once you make the payment. You must save it for reference. You can also download the receipt later by going to the BBMP SAS website and clicking on “Document Print > Receipt Print” after 24 hours.
If you face any technical glitch while making the online payment, you can check the status here and complete the payment. If the link does not have a record of your application number, please wait for a few hours for the status to update and try again.
11. If you choose the challan payment option, a challan will be generated (in PDF format) and you must carry a print-out of the same to the local BBMP Ward Office to make the payment via cash, cheque or DD. You can also download the challan later by going to the BBMP SAS website and clicking on “Document Print > Challan Print”. Once the payment is credited, the Property Tax receipt can be downloaded as above, by clicking on “Document Print > Receipt Print” after 24 hours.
12. If you face any technical problems while using the portal, please try again from a different browser. If that doesn’t help, please report the issue to BBMP using one of the below methods:
- Complaints portal: http://bbmp.sahaaya.in/
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 080-22660000
- WhatsApp: 9480685700
Frequently Asked Questions
- When I enter my SAS application number in the SAS Base Application Number field, it is not accepted. Portal says “Application number does not exist”. Why is this so? Please try entering the application number in the Renewal SAS Application Number field. If that doesn’t work, try with another of your previous SAS application numbers.
- How do I find out my PID number? Use this link to find out: http://bbmp.gov.in/en/gis-based-new-pid1
- When I enter my SAS application number, portal says “You have not paid property tax for 2015-2016”. How do I pay property tax for earlier years? The facility to pay property tax for previous years has now been enabled. The link is: http://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/Forms/form4.aspx
- I have selected wrong zone (either 2008-09 or 2016-17 or both) in Row 5 and now the portal is not allowing me to change it. What do I do? Please wait for 10 days and then try again. System will reset your form after 10 days.
- I have selected the wrong zone and made the payment also. How do I rectify it now? Currently BBMP does not allow online revision or rectification of property tax returns where the payments are completed; however they are working to introduce the same shortly. Please wait till then or visit your local BBMP ward office and enquire about the procedure.
- While making the payment online I faced a technical problem and was unable to complete payment. If I retry, portal says “You application is in payment stage, please complete the payment process”. How do I check the status or complete the payment? You can check the status of payment in progress and continue making payment via this link: http://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/Forms/continuepayment.aspx
- While going to Step 2, I get an error “This form Contains RESERVE KEY WORDS. Please Change and Continue”. What do I do? This is due to use of special characters in one of the auto-filled non-editable fields. BBMP is aware of this problem and will hopefully fix it soon. Please try again after a few days.
- What options should I use in Row 7 for apartments and for vacant sites? For apartments use “I – RCC/Madras Terrace buildings” and for vacant land use “XIII – Excess Vacant Land or Vacant Land Not Built Upon”. Also, for vacant land, enter the site area in “Extent of built up area” field. Don’t forget to click on “Add”.
- The property tax calculated by the portal is much higher / lower than what I paid last year. Have I made a mistake? Please use the BBMP property tax calculator to verify whether the tax calculated by portal is correct or not: http://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in/Forms/Calculator.aspx
- I have completed the payment online but I am not able to view the receipt at “Document Print > Receipt Print”. Please check after 24 hours.
- I have not paid my property tax for earlier years. How to pay it now? Please refer to FAQ #3.
- BBMP SAS Property Tax website
- BBMP new Zonal Classification (2016-17)
- BBMP Property Tax Frequently Asked Questions
- BBMP Property Tax – How to fill the online application