How to Get a Marriage Certificate in Bangalore

Getting a Marriage Certificate has become quite hassle-free in Bangalore these days. Of course, there is still ample scope for further improvement, but it’s not all that bad even now. We got our Marriage Certificate recently without paying a single Rupee as a bribe. The total procedure took about two hours.

The following is the procedure to get your marriage registered in the Sub-Registrar’s office in Koramangala BDA Complex.

NOTE: This procedure is only for Hindu marriages being registered the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. Marriages between people of different communities would have to be registered under the Special Marriages Act, 1954 which has a somewhat different procedure and takes longer.

You need to go to the Sub-Registrar’s office in Koramangala with the following documents:

  1. Duly filled application form in duplicate with name, address and signatures of three witnesses. Witnesses need not be present in person. The form can be purchased in a newspaper shop within the Koramangala BDA Complex premises itself for Rs. 20. You can also download it here.
  2. Five photos of the husband and wife together in 2B format. You can go to any photo studio and tell them that you need the photos in 2B format and they will do the needful.
  3. Address, ID and age proofs of the bride and groom. Carry the originals for verification and one copy of each for submission with the form. For age proof, birth certificate or 10th standard mark sheet is demanded even if you have a Passport or some other document that mentions the age of bride and groom. But they are flexible on this and you can get by without the age proof as long as you have the other documents.
  4. One original marriage invitation card.
  5. One photo taken during the marriage, showing the bride and groom with a few attendees.

You will need to stick two of the 2B size photos on the application form itself, since it is in duplicate. The other three will be pasted on the three original copies of the Marriage Certificate, out of which one will be retained by them and two will be given to you.

On reaching the Sub-Registrar’s office, contact the designated person and submit the form to him. You can ask around if you’re unable to find the person.

The person will verify the information in the form, notably names and dates of birth, with the ID, address and age proofs submitted by you. He will also verify the date and location of marriage with that in the marriage invitation card. He will retain the invitation card and marriage photo with the application form.

After verifying all the details, he will get the Sub-Registrar’s signature on the application form. The Sub-Registrar will verify the completeness of the form before signing.

After this, the details will be entered into the computer database and a receipt will be generated upon saving the data. This will be shown to you and you must check if all the details entered are accurate and spellings are correct. If any mistakes, the data can be edited and a fresh receipt generated.

After verification, you must sign on the receipt, after which the Sub-Registrar will sign on it. Once this is done, the Marriage Certificate will be printed in triplicate. As explained before, the remaining three 2B photos will have to be pasted on these three certificates, of which one will be retained by them and the remaining two given to you.

With this, the process is complete. As for the fees, the official fees are Rs. 20 for two certified copies of Marriage Certificate as per the Govt. of Karnataka website.



  1. anupanup04-17-2018

    thanks vijay for the article and procedure

    didnt pay a bribe to get this done

  2. Rajesh SuraRajesh Sura03-20-2018

    Wonderfully explained.
    Thanks. That was helpful in preparing my self before I attend

  3. PrabhatPrabhat11-02-2017


    I got married in Hyderabad 6 months back . Can I get my marriage certificate made in Bangalore as I had no time to get it done there plus this has been delaying for quite some time now.

  4. NakulNakul10-05-2017

    Hi Vijay,

    Thanks for the article. It helps a lot. The agent i got in touch with is asking for 5000 INR for all of this.
    Anyhow – Can we use non-karnataka IDs for address proof? I can get a credence letter from my organization and produce my local rental agreement as well. Suggestions?


    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar10-06-2017

      You can get it done directly at a cost less than a tenth of that. As for non-Karnataka IDs, that will not work because the marriage has to be registered either at the place of marriage or at the place of residence by providing (which needs local address proof).

  5. PrashanthPrashanth10-03-2017

    Hi Sir,

    Thanks for the information.
    Can you provide the phone number of Sub registration office or can you give your number for more information.

    Also In how many days we get the certificate after submitting the application.

1 3 4 5

Leave a Reply