How to Get a Ration Card in Bangalore (New Process)

UPDATE: This procedure is no longer valid. It has been superseded by a new Aadhaar-linked application procedure for e-Ration Card. Please click here for details.

After the previous online application portal for Ration Cards was deactivated by the Govt. of Karnataka, a new system has been put in place for applying for a Ration Card.

Karnataka Food & Civil Supplies Dept. website

The following is the new process to be followed:

1. First, you need to initiate your application by requesting a “token number”. For this, you need to send a SMS in the following format to 9212357123:

RCNEW <Full Name> (e.g. RCNEW Vijay Padiyar)

NOTE: The name you write in the SMS will be registered into the system and you will be unable to modify it later. So ensure you type your full name correctly and in the desired display format.

2.  On sending the SMS, you will receive an “Entry /Token Number” and a “Security Code” instantly. You will need to use this token number and the security code to access your online ration card application at the Photo Bio Service Center (in urban areas) or Gram Panchayat (in rural areas).

3. Find your nearest Photo Bio Service Center or Gram Panchayat office from this link and go there with all your family members whom you wish to add to the Ration Card. This is mandatory because everyone’s biometric details will be captured as part of the application process.

You need to carry the following documents in original without fail:

  • SMS which has the token number and security code (to access the application)
  • Recent electricity bill (not older than 3 months) for urban residents, or Property Tax payment receipt in case of rural residents
  • Valid photo ID of any of the family members (preferably Voter ID card)
  • Valid address proof (not required if the electricity bill is in a family member’s name)
  • Aadhaar card, if available

You also need to take an introducer with you will vouch for your bonafide credentials. The introducer needs to carry his/her original Ration Card and recent electricity bill. Of course, this is a rather silly and meaningless requirement but will have to be complied with until it’s revoked.

Note that one introducer can only introduce a maximum of two people.

4. At the Photo Bio Service Center, your and your family members’ biometrics (fingerprints) and photographs will be captured and uploaded to the server in the presence of your introducer. The photo ID and address proofs provided by you will also be scanned and uploaded.

5. Once the details are uploaded, a “Self-Declaration” form will be generated by the software and a print-out of the same will be handed to you. You need to sign it and the person who is entering the details into the system will also sign it. The signed self-declaration form will then be scanned and uploaded to the server, thereby completing the application process. The original copy will remain with you. You must retain it safely until you get the Ration Card.

A fixed fee of Rs. 50/- will be charged (irrespective of the number of family members).

6. It will take around 30 days to process the application and generate the Ration Card. You can check the application status online at this link:

7. Once the application is processed and approved, you can go to the designated Food & Civil Supplies office to collect your Ration Card. It will be printed and laminated on the spot and given to you.

You can get the list of F&CS offices in Bangalore from this link. In case of any problems, you can get in touch with the F&CS department at toll-free numbers 1967 or 1800-425-9339.

Useful links



  1. TharunTharun01-11-2017

    Were is the head office in Bangalore sir

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar01-11-2017

      There are multiple offices in Bengaluru. You can call on toll-free number 1967 and enquire.

  2. Amith KumarAmith Kumar01-07-2017

    Hi Sir,

    I have applied for RC card successfully but unable to generate RC.
    This is my application number 208632611.

    Could you please assist me further on the same?

  3. DilipkumarDilipkumar09-30-2016

    Hi sir i want new ration card in my address

  4. Kanchan KothariKanchan Kothari09-28-2016

    Vijay sir, my family lives in bangalore. I have shifted to chennai… We don’t have a ration card in bangalore. For applying re in chennai they areasking fr a deletion or inclusion certificate… Where di get iIdeletion ncertificate

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar09-29-2016

      You don’t need deletion certificate if you didn’t have ration card previously. It’s only required in case of transfer of ration card from one place to another.

  5. yogesha cyogesha c05-09-2016

    hello sir my family moved from thittanahosahalli a village in mandya to Bangalore for rent. we are staying here wt is the process to change the ration card from village address to Bangalore.we have agreement proof electricity bill.

  6. seemaseema04-23-2016

    i want to apply for ration card of new one

  7. PrabakaranPrabakaran02-29-2016


    I have existing valid ration card.
    Now i want to update address in the same area and add my Kids name to this.

    Can i do this in bio-metric center now ?


  8. HariharanHariharan02-01-2016

    I was in Bangalore and surrendered that old ration card there (Mar 2015). Now I am again relocating to Bangalore. Should I go through this process? Or any way of re-activating the old ration account?

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar02-02-2016

      I don’t think you can reactivate the old Ration Card. You need to follow the procedure to transfer your existing Ration Card to Bangalore.

  9. LeelaLeela01-22-2016

    I have an Aadhar card and KEB Bill . Is this sufficient. Please confirm

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar01-23-2016

      Yes, as per the Govt. notification. Not sure if the rules have changed now.

  10. s.vijayalakshmis.vijayalakshmi01-16-2016

    my application card of bio info 205215328 and 04.01.2014 .please cancelled to me

  11. Rana Syad Yusuf Bakhtiyar,Rana Syad Yusuf Bakhtiyar,11-04-2015

    Dear Vijay,
    We are immigrants from Chennai into Bangalore. We want to apply for a Ration Card here but unfortunately we do not carry a Ration Card from Chennai. We do have our passports and Driving Licence bearing the address of Chennai. Although we have a rental agreement copy the Electricity Bill does not contain our names rather of the landlord. What are the chances of our getting a new Ration Card !

    Rana Syad Yusuf Bakhtiyar (father)
    Sayyad Imran Ahmed Bakhtiyar (son)
    Farheen Ahmed. (Daughter in law)
    Sayyeda Farha Ahmed Bakhtiyar. (Grand Daughter)

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar11-04-2015

      You have to apply for a new Ration Card since you don’t have an existing Ration Card. I guess the rent agreement should do as the address proof, but I am not 100% sure. Do carry your ID proofs and a latest copy of the electricity bill as well, even though it’s not in your name.

  12. Choppara Johnson`Choppara Johnson`09-18-2015


    I am trying for my ration card.Many attempts I made but could not make it.I tried both numbers.Even I visited main office also.Shall I go once again to office?

  13. Prabakaran KuppusamyPrabakaran Kuppusamy07-15-2015


    I have the ration card, wanted to include my Kids details (4 yr & 1.5 yr) and update the address.
    What is the procedure ?


  14. gunashekar m.pgunashekar m.p06-25-2015

    I Whant A New Rationcard

  15. Venkatesh mVenkatesh m06-19-2015


  16. g.s.murthyg.s.murthy04-12-2015

    sir the precise information available is very use ful and thank u very much for the valuable excercise u made

  17. nikithanikitha03-29-2015

    i want to apply a ration card

  18. rojalinrojalin02-17-2015

    That introducer will be from Bangalore office only or from.other.side also acceptable.

  19. haseenahaseena02-01-2015

    As i have messaged to the number given i dint get any reply or code so wat shud i do now

  20. BeenaBeena01-28-2015

    Hello vijay, I am a resident of pattanagere. My husband had applied for ration card in July 2013 and got a message to collect the same from rajajinagar office in January 2014. Since, My husband was out of town so he went in March but due to nearing elections he was told that RC might have got misplaced and asked to leave. Now how n from where do we collect our RC. I have the application details.

    • syedsyed01-28-2015

      i was had a ration card before, but there was a camp in our area, we all to-gather went there,
      they take our photos after all finish, they give us some papers to get new ration card in office.
      but i lost that even i dont have copies or any number.what to do? can you guid me………

  21. prabakarprabakar12-31-2014

    very usefull info.
    Thanks for sharing..

  22. AmolAmol12-24-2014


    In case I have ration card in my native place and applying new in Bangalore, I will have to cancel my names in my native place’s ration card? Could you please confirm?

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar12-28-2014

      Yes. Without that you will not get the Cancellation Certificate of old Ration Card which you need to submit in Bangalore.

  23. MastanMastan10-27-2014

    Hi Ravi:

    I sent SMS as above, but suggested another number in response to which I again sent SMS.
    I received a response to second SMS stating ” APPLICATIONS for new Ration Cards is currently suspended”. Please advise when shall we apply. I stay at yelahanka new town

  24. LakshmiLakshmi10-20-2014

    Hi sir,
    i was followed above post as planning to apply new ration card,
    i have sent sms to 9212357123 but i have recieved response like the sms service on this no has been stopped.please send request to the new no 9731979899 again i have sent sms to new no.i got response sms The applications for new ration cards is currently suspeneded..
    so when i should aplly sir
    i am ling in rajajinagar 1st block in bangalore

  25. Vishal ShahVishal Shah09-16-2014

    Hello Vijay,
    I was going through your above post as I am planning to apply for new ration card – But I’ve some queries on the required documents. I am staying in a rented house, so I dont have electricity bill on my name. I dont have LPG connection on my name (as I am using private connection). My Aadhaar was issued from my native place (Gujarat).
    So with this, Is there any possibilities OR other documents with which I can apply for ration card? Appreciate your response on this… Thank you.

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar09-16-2014

      You can enquire if Rent Agreement is accepted, or else take the help of an ‘introducer’ who already has a valid Ration Card.

Leave a Reply