After the previous online application portal for Ration Cards was deactivated by the Govt. of Karnataka, a new system has been put in place for applying for a Ration Card.
The following is the new process to be followed:
1. First, you need to initiate your application by requesting a “token number”. For this, you need to send a SMS in the following format to 9212357123:
RCNEW <Full Name> (e.g. RCNEW Vijay Padiyar)
NOTE: The name you write in the SMS will be registered into the system and you will be unable to modify it later. So ensure you type your full name correctly and in the desired display format.
2. On sending the SMS, you will receive an “Entry /Token Number” and a “Security Code” instantly. You will need to use this token number and the security code to access your online ration card application at the Photo Bio Service Center (in urban areas) or Gram Panchayat (in rural areas).
3. Find your nearest Photo Bio Service Center or Gram Panchayat office from this link and go there with all your family members whom you wish to add to the Ration Card. This is mandatory because everyone’s biometric details will be captured as part of the application process.
You need to carry the following documents in original without fail:
- SMS which has the token number and security code (to access the application)
- Recent electricity bill (not older than 3 months) for urban residents, or Property Tax payment receipt in case of rural residents
- Valid photo ID of any of the family members (preferably Voter ID card)
- Valid address proof (not required if the electricity bill is in a family member’s name)
- Aadhaar card, if available
You also need to take an introducer with you will vouch for your bonafide credentials. The introducer needs to carry his/her original Ration Card and recent electricity bill. Of course, this is a rather silly and meaningless requirement but will have to be complied with until it’s revoked.
Note that one introducer can only introduce a maximum of two people.
4. At the Photo Bio Service Center, your and your family members’ biometrics (fingerprints) and photographs will be captured and uploaded to the server in the presence of your introducer. The photo ID and address proofs provided by you will also be scanned and uploaded.
5. Once the details are uploaded, a “Self-Declaration” form will be generated by the software and a print-out of the same will be handed to you. You need to sign it and the person who is entering the details into the system will also sign it. The signed self-declaration form will then be scanned and uploaded to the server, thereby completing the application process. The original copy will remain with you. You must retain it safely until you get the Ration Card.
A fixed fee of Rs. 50/- will be charged (irrespective of the number of family members).
6. It will take around 30 days to process the application and generate the Ration Card. You can check the application status online at this link: http://ahara.kar.nic.in/lpg/
7. Once the application is processed and approved, you can go to the designated Food & Civil Supplies office to collect your Ration Card. It will be printed and laminated on the spot and given to you.
You can get the list of F&CS offices in Bangalore from this link. In case of any problems, you can get in touch with the F&CS department at toll-free numbers 1967 or 1800-425-9339.
- Karnataka Food & Civil Supplies department website: http://ahara.kar.nic.in/
- Govt. notification on new Ration Card application process: http://ahara.kar.nic.in/notifications/11032013.pdf
- Official guide on Ration Card application process and details: http://ahara.kar.nic.in/Doc/newrc.pdf