How to Transfer or Withdraw your PF and Pension

This article has been published on Click here to view it.

UPDATE: Now you can apply for transfer of Provident Fund and Pension online! Check the appropriate section below.

When you change your job, you need to transfer your accumulated Provident Fund and Pension as well. Most people already know this, but are so daunted by the complex-sounding procedure and imagined difficulties that they prefer to withdraw it instead or, worse, treat it as a lost investment and forget about it.

Of course, one might ask why, in this day and age, do we need to have this ancient system of transferring our Provident Fund and Pension each time we change jobs. Why can’t we instead have a unique account number that, once allocated, remains constant for our entire working life?

While moving to a unique account number is a much awaited and long pending reform, for the time being we have to live with the existing system. That said, I must add that transferring PF and Pension accounts is not as complicated as most people imagine it to be. It just requires a bit of diligence on our part. Not to mention, there are several ways to seek grievance redressal if the need arises.

But first, let’s begin by understanding what Provident Fund and Pension are and why they are needed.

What is Provident Fund and Pension?

Employees Provident Fund (also called EPF or PF in short) and Employees Pension Scheme (also called EPS or simply Pension) are mandatory long term savings schemes established by the Government of India in which a certain portion of your salary must be deposited each month. The purpose of this is to ensure a cushion of savings which can be availed in hard times, and to provide a monthly Pension income after retirement.

As per Government rules, 12% of an employee’s monthly basic salary (not gross salary or CTC) plus dearness allowance (if given) must be deposited as PF every month. Likewise, the employer has to make a matching contribution of 12% of basic salary + DA. However, the employer’s 12% contribution does not fully go towards your PF. It is split into two parts of 3.67% and 8.33% respectively – the former goes to your PF account and the latter to the Pension account (subject to a maximum of Rs. 1250 per month).

To illustrate this, let’s take an example of an employee whose basic salary + DA is Rs. 20,000 per month:

Basic salary + dearness allowance (A)
Rs. 20,000 per month
Employee PF contribution @ 12% of basic + DA (B)
Rs. 20,000 x 12% = Rs. 2,400 per month
Employer PF contribution @ 12% of basic + DA (C)
Rs. 20,000 x 12% = Rs. 2,400 per month
PF portion of employer contribution @ 3.67% of basic + DA (D)
Rs. 20,000 x 3.67% = Rs. 734 per month
Pension portion of employer contribution @ 8.33% of basic + DA (E)
Rs. 20,000 x 8.33% = Rs. 1666 per month
Actual Pension portion of employer contribution (subject to maximum of Rs. 1250, rest goes back to PF contribution) (F)
Rs. 1,250 per month
Actual PF portion of employer contribution (including excess balance from Pension portion) (G)
Rs. 734 + (Rs. 1666 – Rs. 1,250) = Rs. 1,150 per month
Total PF contribution (employee + employer) (B + G)
Rs. 2,400 + Rs. 1,150 = Rs. 3,550 per month
Total Pension contribution (employer only) (F)
Rs. 1,250 per month

Note that the employee and employer contributions are calculated on your basic salary, but are not deducted from it. They are paid over and above your basic salary as part of your total remuneration package (CTC).

Who Maintains my PF and Pension Accounts?

PF and Pension accounts are normally maintained by the Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), which falls under the Ministry of Labor and Employment, Government of India.

Apart from the EPFO, some large private firms are also allowed to maintain their own PF trusts to allow them to process employees’ claims more quickly. However, these have to be registered with the Regional Provident Fund Office (RPFO) and are subject to the same rules and regulations as the EPFO itself.

Is there an Account Number for my PF and Pension Accounts?

Every PF account has a number associated with it. It is in the format XY/12345/123456, where XY is the region or state code (e.g. KN for Karnataka), 12345 is the establishment code and 123456 is the account number. It can also be in the new format, which is XY/ABC/12345/123/123456, where XY and ABC are the region and office code respectively (e.g. BG/BNG for Bangalore), 12345 is the establishment code as before, 123 is the extension (usually 000) and 123456 is the account number as before.

An employee whose PF account is maintained with the EPFO will be given an account number in one of the above formats. This account number is the same for both the PF and Pension accounts, although they are maintained separately. Your PF account number will usually be displayed on your monthly pay slip.

NOTE: In case of companies with their own PF trusts, only the PF account is maintained by the trust, while the Pension account is still maintained by the EPFO. In such cases, there are two account numbers allotted to the employee, one each for the PF and Pension accounts. Both numbers will however have the same format as described above.

Should I Transfer or Withdraw my PF and Pension when Changing Jobs?

It is recommended to transfer your PF and Pension instead of withdrawing it on change of jobs, for financial and other reasons, some of which are:

  • Your PF contribution, if withdrawn before completion of five years of service, is taxable
  • The money in your PF account earns tax-free interest income at high rates of interest, whereas if you withdraw it and  invest it elsewhere, the interest rates are usually lower and interest income and maturity gains are often taxable
  • You lose out on Pension income accruing to you after a minimum of 10 years of service

However, if you are no longer employed, you are legitimately eligible to withdraw your PF and Pension funds, subject to the following caveats:

  • You can only apply for PF withdrawal after a minimum of 60 days after leaving service. There is no maximum time limit, however.
  • You are eligible to withdraw Pension only if you have worked for a minimum of 180 days in the previous establishment. Otherwise, the Pension contribution stands forfeited.
  • You have the option of withdrawing your Pension funds only if you have been working for 10 years or less. If you have been working for longer than that, you will instead receive a Scheme Certificate, which you can surrender at the age of 50 years and above to receive a monthly pension.

Usually, a transfer takes much longer than a withdrawal, which is why many choose to withdraw their PF and Pension rather than transfer it. But ideally, you must transfer your PF and Pension when you change your job. You should do so within three years of leaving your previous organization because, after that, your old PF account will be marked as inactive and stops earning interest.

Procedure to Transfer PF and Pension

To transfer your PF and Pension to your new account, you need to fill and submit Form 13 (Revised) to your present company’s finance department.

You must mention your previous and current PF account numbers on the Form 13.

Note that there is no separate form for Pension transfer. Pension is transferred along with the PF itself. However, if your previous PF account was maintained by a trust, then you will need to submit two copies of Form 13, one each with the PF and Pension account numbers respectively (since they are different in this case).

Your company will forward the Form 13(s) to your previous employer, who will then forward it to the concerned PF office after verification of particulars. If your previous company had its own trust, they will send a cheque for lump sum transfer of PF, along with a document known as Annexure K.

Procedure to Withdraw PF and Pension

To withdraw your PF and Pension after leaving service, you need to fill and submit two forms. To withdraw PF, use Form 19. To withdraw Pension, use Form 10C. As mentioned earlier, withdrawal of Pension is subject to certain restrictions.

You must submit these forms to your previous employer along with a cancelled cheque leaf of your bank account in which you wish to receive the payment.

You can also directly submit the forms to the concerned PF office, but you will need to collect a document known as Form 3A from your previous employer and submit along with your forms. There is usually no harassment here – just don’t forget to collect the receipt of submission for your reference.

Instructions to Apply

1. You can download the forms specified above (and instructions to fill them) here:

2. To fill up the various forms, you will need the following details:

  • PF account number of old company (you will get this from your pay slip)
  • Pension account number of old company (same as PF account number)
  • Date of joining and leaving previous establishment
  • Date of joining present establishment (in case of transfer)
  • Bank account where you wish to receive the funds (in case of withdrawal)
  • Name and address of the PF office to which your previous company was depositing PF (you can get it by entering your old PF account number here:

3. If applying for withdrawal, the following documents also need to be enclosed along with Form 19 and Form 10C:

  • Form 3A from your previous employer. This document basically lists the details of contribution towards PF and Pension by the previous employer. This will be given by your previous employer and must be submitted in original with the application. It will be in this format:
  • Cancelled cheque leaf of your bank account in which you wish to receive the money.

4. There is no need to fill up the “Advance Stamped Receipt” section of Form 10C and Form 19, or attach any stamp of Re. 1/-. You can leave the section blank.

5. Provide your mobile phone number and email ID on top of all the forms on the first page. This will allow the PF office to get in touch in case of any issues.

Checking your Claim Status

You can check your claim status (transfer or withdrawal) here:

Select the state where your previous establishment is located, select the PF office applicable and enter your PF account number to retrieve the claim status.

Reasons for Rejection

If your PF or Pension transfer or withdrawal application is rejected, you will be sent a letter specifying the reason. However, this letter can take quite some time to arrive, and the URL for checking claim status does not specify the reason for rejection.

So, in the meanwhile, you can refer to this document to understand the common reasons for rejection:

Grievance Redressal

In case of any grievances or lack of progress on your application, you can lodge a grievance online here:

However, grievance redressal through this mechanism takes a long time, and it is much quicker to get information by filing a RTI application instead.

The following links have useful information on how to file a RTI for getting status of PF claim:

UPDATE: Apply for PF and Pension Transfer Online

The EPFO has introduced an online EPF and EPS transfer facility for employees. You can now submit a transfer request online at this site:

Note that you will need to register first. You can also check the status of your transfer request via the same link.

Useful Links



  1. ShashankaShashanka05-02-2018

    hi vijay,
    thanks for your blog.
    please reply to my below query
    i) I have resigned from a company in may 2013 from where i withdraw pf amount and balance amount goes to EPS account (i got scheme certificate)
    ii) My next jobs/current are not providing PF
    iii) If i will get once again a company who provide me PF what should I do??
    iv)If not then aht should i do now i am 43 years
    plaese reply

  2. Payel MukherjeePayel Mukherjee03-23-2018

    Hi Vijay,
    I got to know from your blog that my EPF will be transferred and not the EPS, only the details of the service duration will be carried forward to new account. I’ve recently transferred my PF from my old company to new company, now how do I know that the EPS details has been carried forwarded to new account?
    Also, can I get any document/statement regarding my EPS duration from my previous company so that I can produce it as evidence at the time of claiming?
    If I want to withdraw the full amount of EPS now what is the procedure?
    My tenure with last company was for 5 Years.

  3. GunasekaranGunasekaran02-02-2018

    I submitted two Form 13s to current employer (One for EPF & ONE for EPS). PF Amount transferred to my current account (verified in current PF Passbook, amount credited), but how check EPS services details are transfer to my current account.?

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar02-03-2018

      Please read the blog post properly or check the previous replies. Your query has been addressed several times. EPS will not be transferred physically. Only the details of service duration will be carried forward to new account.

      • PrabhakaraPrabhakara02-07-2018

        Hi Vijay,
        Thank you for detailed notes. It is very useful.
        My doubt is when can we get Pension amount physically?

        Can you elaborate on this:
        I joined PF in June 2016 and date of exit in previous organisation is Dec 16th 2016. And i joined new organisation on Dec 26th 2017. I transferred my PF balance from previous organisation to new organisation but pension is not transferred. Let me know the reasons for non transfer.
        Thank you.

  4. Din DayalDin Dayal11-24-2017

    Dear sir,
    I have withdraw PF, but Pension Contribution amount is not paid. So, I request to you withdraw pension contribution amount process.

  5. avdheshavdhesh10-24-2017

    is it compulsory to complete 180 days to get p.f amount, please reply asap

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar10-25-2017

      You can apply for withdrawal after 60 days of leaving your old job, but that is only if you don’t have another job. Of course, you can always claim that you don’t have another job but ideally that is not desirable as PF earns a high interest and is tax free. Also, nowadays it is very easy to transfer PF and pension and the whole process is online.

  6. Pawan BahugunaPawan Bahuguna10-23-2017

    Can we only transfer pension online to current employer.

    My PF was transferred but not pension.

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar10-25-2017

      Please read the old comment replies. Pension will not be physically transferred, only the duration of service in old job will be added to new account.

  7. Bharat BhavsarBharat Bhavsar07-10-2017

    Dear Sir,

    I Have resigned from my previous organisation on 31.12.16 and received all dues except form 3A. They have given Form 19 and 10-C duly signed and stamped but they are delaying form 3A without saying anything. How do I withdraw my PF? My service is 16 years. .

  8. AnuAnu06-15-2017

    I read something like Pension Fund amount would be eligible for the employees with Basic Pay of Rs. 15000/- or less effective September 1, 2014. For the employees with Basic Pay beyond Rs. 15000/-, the split of 8.33% would not be valid and the whole amount would be contributed to EPS. I was with my previous organisation from 2012 and quit the company in 2016. Now, I am not sure if there was any contribution made to Pension Fund from my previous organisation. Can you please clarify how this works?

  9. Bhushan PatilBhushan Patil05-23-2017

    I transfered my old PF amount to new PF account and its take 1 year to transfer but pension fund not yet transfered of Rs.51,000/-
    When it will transfer.
    Reply me.

    Bhushan Patil

  10. Vitthal DevkarVitthal Devkar08-17-2016

    Dear Vijay

    great job …its very well clear information…

  11. Manish PuriManish Puri04-18-2016

    Hi Vijay,

    I have a question pertaining to Online EPF transfer.
    I have initiated an Online transfer of EPF and chose attestation by my previous employer. My previous has approved this transfer request. Just wanted to know what are the next steps here?

    Does my current employer also needs to approve this request? Should I chase my current employer also from approvals?

    Would appreciate your guidance here.


  12. PraveenPraveen03-23-2016

    explained well.


  13. Rajiv VermaRajiv Verma03-17-2016

    Hello Vijay,

    Recently I transferred my PF from previous Company to current Company. It was around 65k and only 55k got transfer. I raised this case with EPF and got below reply:

    It is informed that while transfering pf account number form previous account to present account, pension amount(physical funds) can not be transferred. Only pension will be added to your present the time of settlement you will get full benefit including your previous service.

    Is it ok?


  14. Manoj KumarManoj Kumar03-17-2016

    Hi Vijay,
    Nice to see your valuable detail regarding PF & EPS above.
    Could you please help in gratuaity norms. My previous job was 4 yrs and 7 month, is i am eligible for gratuaity.

    Please guide me

  15. MANAS RMANAS R03-11-2016

    Hi Vijay,

    I am reading your blog very often from last 4 years. Many thanks to you for useful blog.
    Below is my concern:
    I had applied for PF transfer and it got transferred, but my EPS amount not transferred. So I raised a grievance, they replied back with below details.

    ” EPS amount will not be transferred, but service details will be transferred.At the time of final withdrawal of EPS amount will be calculated base on your service and will be credited to you account.”

    FYI- My current company having their own trust.

    Please help me to understand what I need to do in this case.

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar03-11-2016

      It is already mentioned in one of the earlier comments. EPS contribution goes to a consolidated fund and only the service record (number of years worked) is maintained. This record will be transferred to new employer on request. No money will be transferred for EPS. You don’t need to do anything.

      • MANAS RMANAS R03-12-2016

        Thanks for quick response. Last question. My wife previous company EPF is maintained by Trust. As per blog we need to submit two form 13 each for EPF/EPS. I was not aware of this. So I submitted one Form 13 (i.e for EPF)in my current company 15 days back and it is approved. So is it fine now apply transfer for EPS online and submit the form 13 to current company or it is not required ? Kindly guide me.

        • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar03-12-2016

          You can do it online.

          • MANAS RMANAS R03-28-2016

            My wife checked with her previous company (maintained by trust), they said, both the account no is same (i.e for EPF and EPS). Please let me know, if we still need to submit two form 13s. If we need to submit two form 13s, how could they got to know that which Form 13 is belongs to EPS/EPF account.

          • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar03-28-2016

            One Form 13 is enough. There are separate fields for EPF and EPS number.

  16. vidya dhorevidya dhore02-29-2016

    i want details about of new rule of 26 feb 2016 thrusday. i regioned my job on 30 nov 2015 & p.f withdrwal form filled o 16 feb 2016 but pune p.f office not accepted my p.f form that case what can i do .

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar03-01-2016

      Did they not accept your form or did they reject it? If latter, what is the reason for rejection?

  17. Jai pralash sharmaJai pralash sharma01-29-2016

    Dear sir,
    following are the my quarry .pl suggest accordingly
    1. 1st time joined pf on 1/4/1999
    Released date 16/4/.2005(my PF was with epfo office)
    2. joined new organisation and transfered pf account in new organisation
    Pf joined date-18/4/2005
    Released date-1/9/2011 (my pf was with trust)
    with drawn the pf amount( not sure about eps transfer how ever they provided me eps no)
    3.Joined new organisation
    Pf joined date 15/6/12
    Released date 21/10/2014(my pf was with trust)
    Got uan no.and transfered pf to new organisation
    4. Joined new organisation
    Pf joined date-1/11/14(my pf is with trust)
    current employer asked me to fill form 11
    and i filled it and they are telling me that they will join the pf with just previous employer
    Now i want to know how i can join my all eps account in present uan no.i am requesting you pl.send your suggestion in my below mentioned mail id.
    jp sharma

  18. SandySandy10-20-2015

    Hi Vijay,

    I had requested for PF transfer, Now I could see only PF amount got transferred not pension amount. Both companies accounts maintained by EPFO –Ans from your previous conversation. Only Tenure of service will be carries over not pension amount.

    So Below are my few questions.
    1) After logging into UAN site. Where we can find the tenure mentioned ?
    2) If I apply for withdrawn of PF amount now. Shall i get pf+pension amount or only pf amount ?
    3) Is there any specific cut off time after that we will get pension. Please help to understand.

    Thanks in Advance.

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar10-21-2015

      1. I don’t think currently the site shows EPS tenure. You can send an email to EFPO and confirm the tenure.
      2. You will not get Pension unless you satisfy the age/service requirements as mentioned in my blog post. You will get the PF amount however.
      3. Yes, please read the blog post to understand the conditions for applying for Pension withdrawal.

  19. SKSK09-13-2015

    Good job done bro!!! It’s very well explained.

    I had one question, I had requested transfer of my PF from my 2nd last company (maintained by EPFO) to my last company (maintained by Trust) and I just filled one form. The PF part was transferred. But I’m not sure if the pension part of it was transferred from 2nd last (EPFO) to last company (pension maintained by EPFO). Is there any way to know? Can I now raise a request to the 2nd last EPFO to transfer the remaining pension amount to the current company (EPFO)? Online information is not available in any of these PFs.

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar09-13-2015

      Pension will not be carried over physically. Only the tenure of service will be carried over and added to the tenure in new company. The total tenure of all the companies will be considered while calculating retirement benefits, assuming you have not withdrawn PF anytime in between.

  20. Kumar Iyer VSKumar Iyer VS04-22-2015

    Dear Sir,
    I worked with a company which had PF in their own trust. Now to withdraw, they are asking me a advance stamped receipt which I by past experience with the same company find it risky. Kindly suggest alternative methods where I get my PF money before issuing receipt.

  21. KapilKapil08-08-2014

    Hi Vijay,

    I am about to change companies. Can I transfer my EPF by filling form 13 and withdraw my EPS (service duration 6yrs) by filling form 10C simultaneously. Or is it that either I have to withdraw both or transfer both.
    Kindly guide.


  22. gautham Vootukurugautham Vootukuru06-09-2014

    hi Vijay,

    I have transferred my epf from previous account to new account using form 13 thru online. However after the transfer the EPS amount was not transferred? Could you let me know it that is the way and also let me know if we can withdraw what is the form for withdrawing EPS and will it still hold true for my case?

    thank you,

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar06-10-2014

      Hi Gautham

      Did your previous company have its own PF Trust?

      1) If yes, then you will have two account numbers – one each for the EPF (maintained by Company PF Trust) and EPS account (maintained by EPFO). You then need to submit two Form 13s – one each with the two account numbers. Your employer will forward one Form 13 to your previous employer and the other directly to EPFO.

      2) If no (i.e. previous EPF account was maintained with EPFO), then you may register a grievance with the EPFO at



  23. FazalFazal03-30-2013

    How to find my Employer depositing to a PF Trust or EPFO ?

  24. NishantNishant02-09-2013

    Hi Vijay,

    It was very clear , informative and useful information. You have furnished it so well, never seen such a complete guide for anything.

    Nishant Barot

  25. VineethVineeth01-01-2013

    Dear Vijay

    Good useful stuff on your website ….

    Vineeth R

Leave a Reply