How to Change Your Name Legally in India

NOTE: I am NOT a legal expert. This is just my personal experience of getting my name changed legally. Since the rules and/or procedures may have changed since when I changed my name, you are advised to refer to other sources as well. For any queries, it is recommended to approach a lawyer well-versed in these matters.

Having changed my first name legally a couple of years back, I would like to share with you the procedure to do the same. Change of name can be for reasons of personal preference, marriage, change of religion, etc. Either way, the procedure and rules remain the same. The only condition is that you must be over 18 years of age to change your own name. For minors, parents can do it on your behalf.

1. The first step is to get submit an Affidavit of Name Change in your respective District Court (e.g. Mayo Hall in Bangalore) before a Magistrate or Notary Public. The Affidavit must mention the current name and the desired new name, and may mention in brief the reason for name change. The Affidavit must be made on a Non-Judicial Stamp Paper of minimal value (say Rs. 10 or Rs. 20). An advocate can help you prepare the Affidavit in a legally appropriate format.

You may be required to attest proof of Indian citizenship with the Affidavit. Once the Affidavit is signed by the Magistrate or Notary, it comes into force immediately.

2. The next step is to publish advertisements announcing your name change in two local newspapers – one in the local official language and another in English. This is required as per law, so that if anyone has objections to your name change, they may have an opportunity to take it up with the authorities. Of course, in vast majority of cases there are no objections at all.

Name change newspaper ad

3. The third step is to publish an advertisement of your name change in the Official Gazette of your respective state (also called a Gazette Notification). For this purpose, you must approach the Government Press of your respective state and fill up the form for the same, giving details such as old and new name, address, etc. Then you must pay the prescribed fees. Your name change notification will be published in the state’s Official Gazette and you will be sent copies of the same at the address given by you.

NOTE: In case your state does not allow printing of name change in its Official Gazette, you can get your name change notification published in the Gazette of India. To do so, follow the procedure outlined here:

With the Gazette Notification, the name change is officially complete.

4. The next step is to apply for name change in all other official documents such as Passport, PAN Card, Driving License, Ration Card, etc. The above documents (copies of Affidavit, newspaper ads and Gazette Notification) should suffice as proof of name change.

NOTE: For married women applying for name change due to marriage, a copy of Marriage Certificate is enough for changing name in all Government documents. If Marriage Certificate is not available, a Joint Affidavit by husband and wife with a joint photograph declaring their marriage should be adequate.

5. Lastly, you must apply for name change in bank accounts. For this, you can submit Affidavit and Gazette Notification as proof of name change, and new Passport, PAN card, DL, etc. as proof of ID.

6. As for changing name in educational certificates, you can try if you have a lot of patience and free time. This is because getting educational certificates re-issued in new name will require lot of correspondence and paperwork with various institutions, depending on how many degrees you have! Additionally, it is not strictly necessary to have educational certificates in the new name once you start working and have professional work experience.

Useful links

About the Author

Vijay PadiyarI'm a friendly guy with a witty sense of humor. I was born in Baroda, Gujarat and am currently settled in Bangalore, Karnataka. I'm a Leo by birth and certainly by character! So pick up any good book on zodiac signs, flip to the Leo section, and you'll know me rather well!View all posts by Vijay Padiyar →


  1. Ronak sihraRonak sihra02-06-2016

    police verification may not be required or only post police verification may be required, exceptions being re-issue of passport in lieu of lost passport or complete change of name.
    This is written in passport website

  2. Ronak sihraRonak sihra02-05-2016

    I havent changed my name in any documents if i first apply for name change in passport will this create any problem while police verification if i show old name documents

  3. ShyamaShyama01-24-2016

    Hello Vijay,

    This write-up is precise and informative. I am wondering if you could guide me with name change.

    Intention: I want to change my name.
    Complication: i do not have an address proof and have an expired passport- which was issued at Bangalore based on the rental agreement.

    Currently I am unemployed, have not govt id except pan Card. I want to renew my passport and have my new name on it.

    I dont live in Bangalore anymore. I live in a ‘spiritual ashram’ and have no address proof – neither current nor permanent.

    Value your insight and recommendation.

  4. Ronak sihraRonak sihra01-24-2016

    But it will increase more paper work right

  5. Ronak sihraRonak sihra01-23-2016

    Can i change my name second time i have changed it once and want to change it again please reply

  6. BhargavBhargav01-20-2016

    Hi sir,

    I am from Baroda too. I have a query regarding the documents required for issuing passport for my wife. Her surname is changed.

    We have marriage certificate and Gazette notifications of name change. Also we have election card of new name. So do we need to have joint affidavit ?

    Thanks for the help.

  7. bhumijabhumija01-11-2016

    I would like to change name . But the procedure involved is too much to be compiled. I want to just change name but not officially. Is it possible?My name is bhumija

  8. BilalBilal01-06-2016

    I converted from Christian to Muslim. And I also changed my name in kerala gazette. I changed my name in driving licence, passport, voter Id. Now I want to change my name in my educational certificates. Can I possible?

  9. Ashwini VAshwini V01-06-2016

    Hello sir,
    I am ashwini…my name in sslc and puc marks card is Ashwini and on my degree marks card it is Ashwini V. V is for my father name veershetty. Does it creates any problem in doing higher education or getting government job. Do i need to change my name in sslc marks card.

  10. aryanaryan12-29-2015

    i’m from rajasthan @viyaypadiyar n i wanna talk to you about this can you please give me your contact no

  11. arvind singh chauhanarvind singh chauhan12-15-2015

    sir i have completed my ll.b final year and my name on that degree only Arvind , i want to enrolle in bar coucil with Arvind singh chauhan. plz give me advice on that……..


    Arvind singh chauhan

  12. jeethjeeth12-10-2015

    Recently I hv changed my name in PAN card,driving licence, I am going abroad for my further education and it is not possible for me change my name in education certificates ,and I want to enroll my new name further education ,can u suggest me something.
    Thank u

  13. kaluramkaluram12-07-2015

    can i change my name during B TECH.

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar12-07-2015

      You can change it anytime. Check with your institute regarding change of name procedure in your certificates.

  14. Kamal KaranKamal Karan12-03-2015

    I change my name in say Ahmedabad. Then I move to say, Bangalore. There I decide to update my passport. Will I have to give advertisement in newspaper again or the change of name in ahmedabad will suffice?

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar12-03-2015

      These days a Gazette notification is required in addition to Affidavit. A Gazette notification issued by any state govt. (or central govt.) is valid in all the states. You don’t need to repeat the procedure.

  15. tinku kumartinku kumar11-10-2015

    i am so happy to your kindly information.

  16. Satya Prakash KakaniSatya Prakash Kakani11-04-2015

    Dear sir
    In some of my share certifiates my short name S.P.Kakani is appearing hence I am unable to get them dematerialized. The shares were issued before introduction of PAN card and Dmat system.
    What would be the expected cost of name change as my shares are valued Rs 15000/
    I am aged 74 and unable to move much.
    best regards

  17. Shahran siraShahran sira10-27-2015

    And sir in some of mine address proof my house number is 3480 and in some its 9/b both are same house only will this be accepted by the passport officer
    And does driving licence can be used as address proof

  18. Shahran siraShahran sira10-24-2015

    Sir i have received my gazette copy
    Now should i directly apply name change on passport or first should i apply on other document and then in passport

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar10-26-2015

      You can get the Passport updated first and then use that to update the other documents.

  19. Natrajan RamkrishnaNatrajan Ramkrishna10-17-2015

    Hey, your site was very helpful, keep up with the good work! Regards

  20. Ravi MRavi M10-14-2015

    Dear Vijay,

    Thanks for the blog. I’m a Bangalorean and I had changed my name in 2013 following all the necessary steps. I applied for the passport in the same year. But got rejected because my father’s name was mispelt in my 10th marks card which mismatched with my last name which I included during my name change process. I had to get a decree from court to change his name in the 10th marks card. I got a decree from the court this year – after two years.

    I’m applying for my passport again this month. Now my question is, in 2013 I had already submitted my Annexure E document at the passport office in Bangalore, along with all the address proof, ID Proof, Newspaper clippings etc.

    Now its been two years. Do I need to make a new ‘Annexure E’ document? Or will the passport office still have all my old docs and use the same?

    Will appreciate your response Vijay. Thanks. :)

  21. Anikesh JeeAnikesh Jee10-08-2015

    hii sir..
    I’m Anikesh Jee
    i want to update my name by Anikesh Singh
    i want some info. becoz i don’t have any knowledge about court system
    i’m persuing my from RTU 1st year

  22. jenniferjennifer10-07-2015

    Sir pl can u tell me how much does it cost totally

  23. Prasad CPrasad C10-06-2015

    Sir may I know approximately how much name change or correction process cost’s in Bangalore.

1 9 10 11

Leave a Reply