I have been working for Cisco Systems in India as a software programmer from the past three years. This company has so many good things about it that one could easily stay in it for ten years or so. Once you join Cisco, almost everything is taken care of so you can concentrate fully on your work.
IMAGES: Cisco campus in Bangalore (courtesy Rediff.com)
I will try to list some of the benefits of working for Cisco.
– Great salary and a good bonus that varies from 5-10% of the basic pay depending on your and the company’s performance.
– Good incentives and recognition for contribution, especially in solving customer issues. The Cisco Achievement Program (CAP) award is a monetary award given for good performance in your domain of work.
– If you refer someone for a position and he/she gets selected, you get a princely sum of USD 1500 for referring them.
– Home broadband charges are reimbursed by the company, thus enabling employees to work from home whenever necessary and achieve a better work-life balance.
– Sodexo food coupons are provided to reduce the tax burden. We pay for food in the office and also for groceries, etc. outside using these coupons.
– Cisco’s healthcare program covers you, your spouse and two parents for a major amount, which covers the cost of several expensive surgeries or treatments a year.
– PF is managed by Cisco’s own trust, which makes it easier to get a settlement when you leave.
– Cisco gives an American Express corporate card that you are supposed to use for all business expenses, in India or abroad. So there’s no need for you to pay from your pocket.
– Good offers and preferential schemes from various banks and institutions come naturally when you work for a USD 40 billion company!
– Cisco is practically into every domain related to networking (routers/modems, wired/wireless, IP phones, TelePresence, security and firewall gateways, and so on). So if you feel like changing your line of work, you can move to another Business Unit within Cisco that works on different products, instead of having to change the company.
– Every employee gets a laptop and is not tied to the office for work. They can work from anywhere, office or home. Even within the office, they can sit anywhere and work, even from the cafeteria!
– Work from home concept as a means of achieving a good work-life balance. Everything that you can do sitting in office, you can do from home as well. So that provides a great deal of flexibility to employees.
– Number of technologies to choose from. Cisco is the market leader in various networking domains, so there’s no better place to learn and work on various technologies than Cisco.
– No one keeps a tab on when you come and go, how many hours you spend at office, etc. You choose your time and style of work, and as long as you deliver the goods, no questions are asked! This is so much better than some Indian software service companies that ask employees to wear uniforms and treat them as kids by keeping tabs on work hours!
– Some of the best and most intelligent persons and legends of the industry work for Cisco, so there are endless opportunities as an individual to learn.
– Timesol concierge in Cisco takes care of all you personal chores, be it depositing cheques or paying bills, applying for a PAN card or passport or driving license, booking movie tickets or train tickets, buying firecrackers, sending a letter via courier, etc. Everything can be done via Timesol, so you don’t need to run around outside for these personal chores.
– World-class gym and health club within the campus, and free for employees
– Basketball, volleyball and tennis courts and cricket ground are present in the campus. Health club has an indoor sports section where carrom, chess, billiards, foosball, table tennis, etc. can be played.
– Great cafeteria with a splendid choice of cuisine. North Indian and South Indian food, chats, fast food, cakes and pastries, English and Indian breakfast, etc. are available. There is also a Cafe Coffee Day present in the campus.
– ATM is available in the campus. Also, representatives from HDFC Bank and HSBC Bank (Cisco has salary accounts with these) visit the campus every week, so employees can get their work done there.
– Dedicated Apollo Health Clinic and ambulance within the campus. Various medical programs and events are conducted from time to time.
– Various dignitaries visit the campus from time to time, which is good for the employees. For example, former President Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam, Karnataka CM B S Yediyurappa, Cisco CEO John Chambers, Wipro CEO Azim Premji, CNBC-TV18 correspondent Shereen Bhan, and a few others.
– Cisco Toolapalooza is an annual technology event where lots of IT and technology companies participate.
And last but not the least, there’s always the pride that comes from working for a world renowned and globally known MNC like Cisco.