How to Get a Ration Card in Bangalore

NOTE: For those living in Bangalore (Urban), it is now possible to apply for a Ration Card online via the Karnataka Food & Civil Supplies Department’s website. Click here for instructions to apply for a Ration Card online.

A lot of people are keen to know the procedure to obtain a Ration Card in Bangalore. The procedure is outlined here, and is simple but can be a little time consuming depending on the specific office where you apply.

Karnataka Food & Civil Supplies Dept. website

To apply for a Ration Card, follow the below steps:

1. Get your name deleted from your ration card in your native place (if applicable) and get a Surrender Certificate.

For this, you have to visit the Food & Civil Supplies office in your native place. You need not go there personally – even your parents can do it on your behalf. If your name was never added to your family ration card, then approach the municipal office in your native place and get a letter certifying that you don’t have a ration card there.

2. Based on your area of residence in Bangalore, approach the nearest Food & Civil Supplies Dept. office.

Karnataka Food & Civil Supplies (FCS) Dept. offices:

Bangalore South:
No. 4, Opp. RNR Catering Services, 5th Main Road, Chamarajpet, Bangalore – 560018
Phone: +91-80-26613531

Bangalore East:
Corporation Building, Near RBANMS College, St John’s Road, Bangalore – 560042
Phone: +91-80-25360750

Bangalore North:
No. 3, Near Malleswaram Police Station, Vyalikaval Extension, 11th C Cross, Bangalore – 560003
Phone: +91-80-23445702

No. 101, Bellary Road, Ganganagar, Bangalore – 560032
Phone: +91-80-23332550

Bangalore Central:
3rd Floor, Mohan Building, Opp. Visveswaraiah Museum, Kasturba Road, Bangalore – 560001
Phone: +91-80-22214431

Bangalore West:
No. 16/I, Vasanth Nagar, Miller Tank Bund Road, Bangalore – 560052
Phone: +91-80-22260932, 22200660, 22260752, 22353423, 22096557

Commissioner’s office, Dept. of Food & Civil Supplies:
No. 8, Sahakari Building, Near Chandrika Hotel, Cunningham Road, Bangalore – 560052
Phone: +91-80-22262187, 22267205, 22264062

If you’re not sure about the correct FCS office, call one of the offices first to confirm which office your area of residence comes under (better to ask in Kannada, or get a localite to ask them).

3. Go to the appropriate office with the following documents:

  • Copy of address proof (such as rent agreement, BSNL phone bill, latest property tax paid receipt for own house in Bangalore, etc.)
  • Copy of identity proof (such as Passport, PAN card, Driving License, etc.), one for each family member
  • Surrender Certificate(s) or the municipal letter, whichever is applicable

You need to pay Rs. 10 and get an application form. It will be in Kannada, but you may fill it in English too. So in case you don’t know Kannada, get it filled by someone else or take a localite friend along. You may also refer to this translated form which tells you what to fill in which section (leave the untranslated sections blank).

Fill the form and submit it. If the officer asks you the purpose of applying, tell him it’s for applying for a LPG connection.

4. Wait for the Food Inspector to come to your residence for inspection.

This should happen in about a week or so. Note that for some people, the Ration Card is given on the spot without any inspection being conducted. So it seems to be on a case by case basis.

5. Once the inspection is done, call them again and ask when you should come to get the Ration Card.

On the appointed date, go there and take your form from the person to whom you submitted it, and go to the computer room. There you need to pay Rs. 45 as charges for making the Ration Card. The operator will then enter your details into their software, take your picture with a webcam, and will give you an original color print-out of the Ration Card. You then need to go to another desk where a person will laminate it for you.

Here the process is complete. Things at the Food & Civil Supplies offices usually move fast (at least in the Chamrajpet office) and most of the officers are straightforward.

Concluding notes

For me, it took two weeks from the time of applying to get the Ration Card. In between, a Food Inspector from their office came to my house to verify that we’re staying there. He was straightforward, and we didn’t need to pay any bribe.

Still, remember that in case you face any prolonged harassment or unjustified demands for money, you can always take the help of the Govt. Public Grievances cell or file a RTI application.

P.S. Let me know there are if any updates, or if I need to include any additional information.

UPDATE: February 2011

In an effort to weed out bogus LPG connections and Ration Cards, the Govt. of Karnataka has currently stopped issuing new Ration Cards.

Additionally, the Govt. has asked all LPG consumers to submit copies of their Ration Card, LPG Consumer Number and BESCOM Electricity Bill either directly to the FCS Dept. or to their respective LPG retailer. Refer to this blog post for details.

You can upload scanned copies of the above documents at this link:

Upon submission, you will be shown an acknowledgement page. Save a copy of it for reference.

You can check the verification status of your Ration Card at this link:

In case of any doubts, you can call the Food & Civil Supplies Dept. at 1800-425-9339 (toll-free) for details. You may also refer to this FAQ for help.

UPDATE: October 2011

After completing the process of identifying and removing bogus Ration Cards, the Govt. of Karnataka has now restarted the process of issuing new Ration Cards.

Additionally, for those living Bangalore (Urban), it is now possible to apply for a Ration Card online via the Karnataka Food & Civil Supplies (FCS) Department’s website. Those living in rural areas will, however, continue to follow the process outlined here.

For detailed steps on how to apply for a Ration Card online, see this blog post.

Useful links:



  1. mauryanmauryan07-09-2014

    i need to change address in my ration card as i have shifted to yelahanka from sulthan elt me know how it can be done.

  2. vimala jagdishvimala jagdish07-23-2013

    hi Vijay
    this is vimala jagdish and need your help and support to get a ration card , we already have a ration card but my name and son name is not in the famialy ration card need your support to get us the update ration card —- we stay at monayanarya palya , nanjammana layout RTNagar – 560032 — my cell no – 9538876001
    please do reply or call —thank you very and look forward for your reply

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar07-23-2013

      How can I help you to get the Ration Card? I don’t work for the Government!

  3. vincentvincent01-19-2013

    Well dear, i applied online for a new ration card. i filled up all particulars of family also but when submitted only my name came. Now i got my new ration card with alone my name. Now what is the procedure to add my family members to it. I live in Yelahanka area.. were should i contact?

    • Vijay PadiyarVijay Padiyar01-20-2013

      You can approach your respective F&CS office and apply for addition of family members’ names.

  4. RashmiRashmi12-11-2012

    Ration Card software not working

    • rs sakunthala kumarirs sakunthala kumari07-11-2014

      sir i want to rashion card iam allredy apply in 1 year back acknolagement is my hand but card is not comming

  5. tired with themtired with them10-21-2012

    the site is down from 4 to 5 months for making ration card. I have been visiting the Ration card center in bangalore regular and they are often telling that next week it will opened for making ration card, everytime they are giving same stupid answer from last few months now.

    I’m tired of this officials, does anybody have any idea of how to get the ration card other then from the website. ??

  6. Bache Gowda.RBache Gowda.R08-27-2012

    Since long back ,we have discontinued Ration card after transfer . Now We have settled at Attur-Sai Ram Layout ,Yelahanka &desired to have APL card. Now unable to connect for new ration card in said site. Hence /open for on line registration .Kindly suggest.

  7. Pankaj BhatiaPankaj Bhatia08-21-2012

    Hi Vijay,
    I relocated from the US 6 yrs ago and have been living in Bangalore since then. Have never had any ration card in India. Where can I get a letter stating that I don’t possess a ration card? My application has been approved for biometric scan and photo. I only possess my BSNL telephone bill and my passport as address proof. Are those accepted as address proofs? What id proof can I take for children?

  8. Nagarajan mNagarajan m08-18-2012

    Thank you very much, it is very helpful

  9. SantoshSantosh08-10-2012

    Hello Vijay,

    Thanks for your information . I was very useful .

  10. PraveenPraveen08-10-2012

    How to find out which is the nearest FPS center for bio metric & photos? I stay in Arekere, Bannerghatta Road. Does anyone know which is the nearest FPS to this area?

1 6 7 8

Leave a Reply